Building Major Scales
What You'll Need For This Exercise...
- Download (and I suggest printing out) the “Worksheet” and “Cheat Sheet” pdfs that are available with this exercise in “Related Materials and Downloads”.
You’ll want to be able to write out the answers several times. If you have a tablet/stylus for this work that can be helpful. Otherwise, you’ll likely need to print several copies. That way you can complete the exercise over and over again until you’ve memorized the scales.
How to Complete This Exercise...
- Read the instructions in the PDF about building major scales (attached to this lesson).
- Next, try to follow the WWHWWWH pattern to build each major scale – and write in the notes in the worksheet.
- When you think you’ve built your scales correctly, check your work against the “Cheat Sheet”.
- Reach out to me if you have any questions!
Continuing to Improve...
As you work through the worksheet, building scales… keep the following tips in mind:
- All scales should contain all 7 letters (A-G). No letter should occur twice.
- No scale can contain both flat and sharp notes (either/or).