Counting Time I
What You'll Need For This Exercise...
How to Complete This Exercise...
This exercise can be both played and vocalized. Either will be effective, but both is better :). The soundslice contains tab which includes counting syllables above the notation (for example “1” “e” “+” “a” – which is counted “1 ee and ah”). Here’s what to do:
- Start with a slower tempo (60 bpm would be a good place to start).
- Play back the soundslice and count (vocally only) along with it, using the indicated syllables above the notation.
- When you feel comfortable counting all the rhythms vocally, try to repeat the exercise counting vocally and playing a single note (with correct alternating picking).
- When vocalizing and playing are both feeling comfortable, increase the tempo by 2-5 bpm and repeat the exercise.
- When you are able to complete the exercise at 80 bpm, you should be good to go!
Continuing to Improve...
Remember that doing both the vocalization AND the playing simultaneously is the best way to measure your grasp of the exercise. Don’t be discouraged if this seemingly simple exercise has you stumped for a while… It is an easy exercise to comprehend, but many beginner and intermediate players will find it challenging to actually do at 80 bpm.