What You’ll Need
Learning to mix takes time… and lots and lots of practice. This exercise offers students a way to get some practice – for free. You’ll need to download the exercise materials – a zip file containing audio tracks that you can drag and drop into your DAW and start mixing, right away!
- OH (Over head drum mics)
- Guitar (rhythm and solo)
How to Complete this Exercise
- Download the Flac Audio zip file (and unzip it!).
- Drag/Import the Flac tracks into your DAW – any DAW (including the Cubasis app) will work 🙂
- Each track should be on it’s own channel. But, they’re all the same length so you shouldn’t have to time-sync anything.
- Start mixing! This is practice time 🙂
Tips for Improvement
Start your mix by listening. Make notes and identify your goals early in the process. Here are some useful questions to ask before you start mixing:
- Are any tracks ‘hidden’ or obscured? Can you fix it?
- Do the tracks ‘sit’ well together?
- Are the tracks loud enough? Or, too quiet?
- Is the bass, midrange and treble balanced?